Protect Your Kidneys This Summer: Tips for World Kidney Day 2023
This Thursday (March 9) marks the annual observance of World Kidney Day – an initiative to raise public awareness about the importance of healthy kidneys and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems. Kidneys play an essential role in filtering extra water out of our bodies, cleaning the blood, and helping to control blood pressure. Any damage to these vital organs can have a devastating effect on our body, so it is essential to keep your kidneys in good health.
Kidney disease, also known as chronic kidney failure, is a condition in which the kidneys lose the ability to remove waste and balance fluids. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including diabetes and high blood pressure. Sadly, it is possible for kidney disease to go unnoticed for a lengthy period of time, potentially resulting in irreversible damage and even life-threatening issues.
The common causes of kidney disease are diabetes, hypertension, chronic infection, bleaching cream, abuse of painkillers and unregulated use of herbal medicines. Obesity, smoking, poor diet, and a lack of exercise also raise a person’s risk for kidney disease.
If you are among those more at risk, it is important to make healthy food choices, such as eating a balanced diet that is low in salt and saturated fat, and high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Limiting your sodium intake to 2,000 milligrams per day and limiting your potassium intake to 2,000-3,000 milligrams per day are also recommended. Consuming the right amount of sodium, fluids, and proteins, as well as regular physical exercise, can help keep your kidneys healthy and prevent further damage. Treating diabetes and high blood pressure will also slow additional damage to the kidneys.
The World Kidney Day 2023 campaign is focused on raising awareness about disastrous events, natural or man-made, international or local, and their impact on people living with kidney disease whose access to appropriate diagnostic services, treatment, and care is hindered. It is essential to ensure safe, sustainable, and continuous health services for those in need of lifelong ongoing complex treatments, such as people living with kidney disease.
By following these tips, you can help keep your kidneys healthy and safe this summer. It is important to remember that kidney failure can often be prevented or delayed through early detection and proper treatment of underlying risk factors. It is not possible to undo kidney damage, however, it may be possible to halt or reduce its advancement.
0. “World Kidney Day 2023: Poor diet, sedentary lifestyle increase risk of chronic disease by 300%” News9 LIVE, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.news9live.com/health/health-conditions/world-kidney-day-2023-poor-diet-sedentary-lifestyle-increase-risk-of-chronic-disease-by-300-au288-2070933
1. “World Kidney Day 2023: Watch out for these kidney disorders that may affect you” The Financial Express, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.financialexpress.com/lifestyle/health/world-kidney-day-2023-watch-out-for-these-kidney-disorders-that-may-affect-you/3003635/
2. “Trinidad and Tobago: NCRHA aware public about kidney diseases, ahead of World Kidney Day – Writeups 24” writeups24, 8 Mar. 2023, https://writeups24.com/trinidad-and-tobago-ncrha-aware-public-about-kidney-diseases-ahead-of-world-kidney-day/
3. “World Kidney Day: 45000 Nigerians die yearly due to kidney failure” Guardian Nigeria, 9 Mar. 2023, https://guardian.ng/features/world-kidney-day-45000-nigerians-die-yearly-due-to-kidney-failure/
4. “World Kidney Day: Why is Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) rising among Indians? Know about 6 triggers we ignore” The Indian Express, 9 Mar. 2023, https://indianexpress.com/article/health-wellness/world-kidney-day-chronic-indians-triggers-8487356
5. “March is National Kidney Month. Follow these steps for healthier kidneys” Florida Today, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.floridatoday.com/story/life/wellness/2023/03/07/march-is-national-kidney-month-follow-these-steps-for-healthier-kidneys/69968776007
6. “World Kidney Day Expert Recommended Tips To Keep Your Kidneys Safe | Femina.in” Femina Hindi, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.femina.in/wellness/health/world-kidney-day-expert-recommended-tips-to-keep-your-kidneys-safe-259796.html
7. “World Kidney Day: The COVID-19 Pandemic Catalyzes Need for Adequate Care for People Living With Kidney Disease” EIN News, 8 Mar. 2023, https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/621045174/world-kidney-day-the-covid-19-pandemic-catalyzes-need-for-adequate-care-for-people-living-with-kidney-disease
8. “Benefits Of Early Detection & Management Of Kidney Disease” BW Healthcareworld, 9 Mar. 2023, http://bwhealthcareworld.businessworld.in/article/Benefits-Of-Early-Detection-Management-Of-Kidney-Disease/09-03-2023-468435
9. “Understanding chronic kidney disease (CKD) and its risk factors” ABC15 Arizona in Phoenix, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.abc15.com/lifestyle/sonoran-living/sl-sponsors/understanding-chronic-kidney-disease-ckd-and-its-risk-factors