Improve Your Heart Health with a Balanced Diet, Exercise and Rest
Maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle requires the consumption of a nutritious, balanced diet. The American Heart Association and the US Department of Health and Human Services both recommend making specific food choices to support a healthy heart, including foods that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. It is advisable to steer clear of processed foods, sugar, and sodium, as they can raise the likelihood of developing heart disease. By engaging in regular physical activity, getting adequate sleep, and managing stress, you can support your heart (and your entire body) by adding nutritious foods to your diet.
Incorporating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and healthy sources of fat and protein into your diet will help ensure your body has the necessary fiber, vitamins, and minerals to promote a healthy heart. Eating healthy fats from nuts and seeds, fatty fish such as wild salmon, sardines, mussels, rainbow trout and Atlantic mackerel, and avocados can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease. Avocados, in particular, are linked to a 16 percent lower risk of cardiovascular disease and a 21 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease. Walnuts are also a good source of heart-healthy fats.
In addition to diet, maintaining good heart health also requires lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. Regular exercise helps keep your heart strong and improves your overall health, while proper rest can help balance your blood pressure and heart rate.
By making small changes to your diet and lifestyle, you can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease. Eating healthy and nutritious food, exercising, and getting enough sleep are all key steps you can take to improve your heart health.
0. “5 essential tips for a healthy heart this spring season” Hindustan Times, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/5-essential-tips-for-a-healthy-heart-this-spring-season-101677042820698.html
1. “Your 5-Day Heart-Healthy Meal Plan—Built by a Dietitian” Eat This, Not That, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.eatthis.com/heart-healthy-meal-plan/
2. “Five foods you can incorporate into a heart-healthy diet” NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/five-foods-to-incorporate-into-a-heart-healthy-diet-health/97-9bfdbd63-59c4-42b0-9e0e-438820447a6a
3. “Heart-healthy foods: 15 items to add to your grocery list to prevent heart disease, other health concerns” Fox News, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/list-foods-help-heart-health
4. “Small Lifestyle Changes You Can Make to Improve Heart Health” Sportskeeda, 25 Feb. 2023, https://www.sportskeeda.com/health-and-fitness/small-lifestyle-changes-you-can-make-improve-heart-health